When it’s packed with blue-cheese and wrapped in a lettuce leaf of course! Take a look at our take on that summer BBQ classic, the cheese-burger!
Our “cheese-burgers” are slightly different from the norm, in that we’ve hidden the cheese inside! The result is a fantastic creamy sauce which oozes out with every bite. Plain old cheeseburgers will never seem the same again!
Prep Time: 20 minutes (including chilling time)
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free
You will need:
- 100g blue cheese, chilled
- 250g lean minced beef
- 10g flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- In a small bowl, break up the blue cheese and roll into 4 balls. Return the mix to the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
- In a large bowl mix together the beef, parsley and black pepper. Divide the mixture in four and roll into four small balls. With your thumb make a deep well in the centre of each ball, into which spoon a cheese ball. Cover with the meat to create a complete seal, so no cheese is visible, then flatten the ball slightly to create a patty. Repeat with the others. Place the burgers in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat, and quickly brown the burgers on each side – about 1 minute per side. Then reduce the heat and cook them for a further 3 minutes on each side.
- Small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- Serve immediately and top with some chopped parsley.
I love the tang of blue cheese, but this recipe works just as well with a semi-hard goats cheese. If your choice of cheese doesn’t cream easily, just cut it into small cubes, and stuff the meatballs as above.
For more delicious recipes like this one, both Jennifer Irvine’s books are available from Amazon here.