Apple and Walnut Cookies
These are a wonderful winter treat, the spice and warmth of the cinnamon and orange zest balancing the sweetness of the apple and maple syrup wonderfully. They don’t last long in my house, where they’re gobbled down as a mid-afternoon snack in the traditional way – with a glass of milk!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Diary Free, Vegetarian
Preheat oven to 190°c/ 350°f/ Gas mark 4
- 75g spelt flour
- 75g rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 75g maple syrup
- 60ml sunflower oil
- zest of of ½ orange
This recipe is very forgiving, so substitute ingredients according to what’s to hand. Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and even peanuts all work well, and instead of grated apple you could try grated carrots or even mashed bananas.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Place the flour, oats, baking powder and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Add the grated apple and the chopped nuts and stir again.
- In a separate bowl, mix the maple syrup, olive oil and orange zest, stirring well to completely combine.
- Add the flour and apple mixture to the wet ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Place heaped tablespoons of the batter onto baking trays lined with baking paper, leaving a space of about 2 inches between each dollop.
- Place in the top of the oven and cook for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave for a few minutes before transferring to a baking wire to cool for at least 10 minutes. Best served warm.