Before you get caught up in this whirlwind of nonsense, remember the maxim-as important in romance as in everything else: Less is more. Here are our top tips for showing true love, without spending a thing.
- Make him/her breakfast in bed. It’s a bit of a cliché, but when was the last time you did it? It really is a nice, special touch. All you really need is your beloved’s beverage of choice, the best quality of which you can get, and a small vase/glass/jug with a few hand-picked garden flowers. That. Is. It.
- This year, Valentine’s Day falls on a Sunday. Get your lover up early and go for a walk. Hold hands, chat, and just enjoy being with them. Easy peasy.
- Then go home and go to bed for the rest of the morning. (If you go to sleep, you’ve missed the point a bit.)
- Most people-women in particular-crave some time alone, especially if you have children or a busy work life (or both). Remove their phone, hand them a book (one they like would be good!), plump up on a cushion on the sofa and tell them they’re alone for the next hour. (Then-obv-leave them alone!)
- A tip for men: You know all those scented candles you have cluttering up your shelves? Grab a couple, light them, put them in the bathroom, and draw a bath. Add bath oils or bubble bath if you have it. Ta-da! A home-made spa experience. (If you’re in the early throes of a relationship, join them in the bath. Otherwise-combine this with tip #4 above, and leave them to it.
- A tip for women: We don’t want to be stereotypical, but most men LOVE watching football (or whatever preferred sport) while having a beer. Without feeling any guilt. So grab a piece of A4 paper, cut it into equal-sized slips, and write “Bearer entitled to go watch the footy in the pub without feeling bad” on each one. Staple together, and hand over. Watch his little face light up.
- Go online. Fine a love poem. Get the ink pen you never use, and write it out. Leave it on his/her pillow to find later.
- Remember why you’re with this person. You love them. Now tell them.