– St Patrick was actually British.
– His real name was Maewyn Succat.
– He first went to Ireland as a slave, returning years later as a missionary.
– And he never met a snake there. (The Ice-Age banished snakes from Ireland, not St Patrick.)
– There’s nothing uniquely Irish about shamrock.
– 13 millions pints of Guinness are drunk, worldwide, on St Patrick’s day – over twice the usual daily consumption.
– Traditionally it always rains on St Patrick’s Day in Ireland. (Well, it is Ireland in March, after all)
– And finally, St Patrick’s favourite food was Bubble and Squeak.