Warmed Pineapple with Orange & Basil
This is a great recipe for using up a ripe pineapple. In the original Pure Package recipe we slow-roast the fruit, but this quick version is just as effective at giving your taste-buds a sun-drenched hit.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 125ml natural yoghurt
- 25g basil, very finely chopped
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Handful coconut flakes
I prefer this recipe warmed through, as above, but it also tastes wonderful if left to chill. If you have leftovers, leave them to marinade in the sauce overnight, giving you a quick and easy cold treat the next day.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- First make the yoghurt dressing. Mix together and set aside.
- Half the pineapple from top to bottom; remove the woody middle, then turn each half down onto its cut side and slice into 1-inch slices (each slice should look like the letter “C”).
- Place the pineapple slices and any juices into a deep non-stick pan. Add the orange and lime juices and zests and set the pan over a medium flame with the lid on.
- When it starts to bubble, reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 3 minutes, or until the juice has reduced by about half.
- Meanwhile, toast the coconut flakes by dry frying them in a small non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until golden.
- Divide the pineapple between warmed serving plates and pour over some of the warmed juice.
- Top with a tablespoon of the basil yoghurt and a scattering of toasted coconut flakes. Serve immediately.