Very Pink Salad
A Sunday roast of beef with horseradish is a match made in heaven. When I don’t have the time – or inclination – to make a roast but crave the flavours, this salad provides a taste of all the component parts but with the added peppery crunch of watercress.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free
- 60g lean fillet of beef
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh horseradish paste
- 2 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 small beetroot, ready cooked, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 large handfuls watercress, large stems removed
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices rye bread (optional)
To upcycle this salad is particularly good as an open sandwich filling, topped with sliced radishes.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Take the fillet of beef out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature 20 minutes before cooking
- Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan, then fry the beef over a high heat for 1 minute on each side. Remove from the pan and leave to rest.
- Next make the dressing. Mix together the horseradish, yoghurt, olive oil, lemon juice and mustard, stirring well to combine. Add the beetroot and mix until the dressing turns pink.
- Slice the rested beef thinly and arrange on serving plates. Remove the beetroot pieces from the dressing and place on top. Scatter the watercress and spring onions over and season with black pepper. Serve alongside rye bread, if you like.