Vegetable Cottage Pie
This cream butter bean top is lighter than a normal pastry, adds protein to a vegetarian/vegan dish, and one of our favourite on our menu.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
200C/180C fan/ gas 6.
Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Vegetarian
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Small knob of ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ras el Hanout
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 courgette, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 160ml vegetable stock
- 160g spinach leaves
- 400g tin butterbeans
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Small handful of parsley, finely chopped
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Cook the onion on a low heat until soft. Add the garlic, ginger, chill and Ras el Hanout and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the carrot, courgette, pepper and parsnips and cook until tender then add the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6.
Stir the spinach leaves through the vegetables and allow to wilt. Put the vegetable filling in an oven proof dish.
- Mash butterbeans with salt, parsley and oil. Spoon the butterbean mash on top of the vegetable mixture and pop in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling at the edges.