Turmeric Chicken with Spicy Tomato Aubergine
Our Founder, Jennifer Irvine got this recipe inspiration from her dad, she says ” My Dad is a wonderful chef and this is one of my favourite recipes that he cooks for us. He doesn’t normally wear gloves to make it, so is often found with yellow stained hands – Not a good look! I would suggest wearing gloves.”
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Diary Free
Preheat oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6
- 1.5-2kg free-range chicken, jointed
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 heaped teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A little chicken stock, optional
- 2 medium aubergines, trimmed and cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Pinch chilli powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 220g brown basmati rice
To check that your chicken is cooked through, pierce a thigh with a skewer, if the juices run clear, you are good to serve up.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Joint your chicken into drumsticks, thighs and wings (all on the bone) and cut the breast meat into a few large piece. You can ask your butcher to do this for you if you prefer.
- Mix the garlic, turmeric, chilli powder and lemon juice together in a large bowl to make a marinade. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but its best to leave the chicken to marinate all day if you can, mixing it around every time you pass the refrigerator.
- Transfer the marinated chicken pieces to a roasting, tin skin side up, and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, basting half way through cooking. If the juices in the pan are getting dry, then add a little chicken stock or water. At the end of the time, check that the thighs are cooked (see tip below) , as these take the longest.
- Tip the aubergine into a bowl. Sprinkle over the garam masala and chilli powder and toss to coat. Place the aubergine in a non-stock ovenproof dish and, once your chicken has been in for 20 minutes, put the aubergines in to roast for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven and stir in the chopped tomatoes, coriander and cumin. Return to the oven and cook for a further 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the rice and cook for 20-25 minutes or according to the packet instructions until tender. Drain.
Serve family style on the table and dish out individually according to the rule of palm.