Turmeric Chicken Skewers
‘Meat on a stick’ is ever-popular at street stalls all over South East Asia. You can use metal or wooden skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water just before using them.
- Serves 2
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 mins minutes
- Wheat Free, Gluten Free
- Preheat Grill to high, and place a non-stick baking tray under it
- 1 heaped teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 50ml low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 free-range chicken breasts, skinned and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 4 skewers, at least 20cm long
This recipe is equally delicious with salmon and other firm-textured fish, or peeled king prawns – just adjust the cooking times.
Combine the cold turmeric chicken skewers with some barley couscous tabbouleh (see page 132), and add freshly chopped cucumber and cooked beetroot along with a handful of flat-leaf parsley for a stunning light lunch.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Make the marinade by mixing together the turmeric, chilli powder, lemon juice, garlic and yoghurt in a large mixing bowl.
- Coat the chicken in the marinade.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers and place on the hot baking tray pouring over some of the remaining marinade and discarding any excess. Place the tray under the grill and cook, turning the skewers every 2 minutes or so to ensure even cooking.