Orange and Ginger Chocolate Mousse
The beauty of chocolate mousse – apart from the taste of course! – is that there are so many flavours you can experiment with. This one is a twist on a great classic. Eat as a mousse, or pop it into the freezer to make a lovely ice cream.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Chilling time: 15 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 50g plain dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon stem ginger finely chopped
- Zest of half an orange
- 4 free-range egg whites, at room temperature
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- 2 twists of orange peel
Feel free to play around with the flavours; if you don’t like – or don’t have – stem ginger, just omit it, and have a luxurious chocolate-orange mousse instead!
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Leave to cool slightly.
- Mix the ginger and the orange zest into the melted chocolate.
- The secret to this recipe is to have the temperature of the chocolate and eggs similar so nothing is shocked. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry, grease-free bowl until they form soft peaks. Fold them into the cooled melted chocolate.
- Spoon into two small cups or ramekin dishes.
- Dust with a little cocoa powder and a twist of orange peel before serving.
- Serve straight away, or keep in the fridge to eat later the same day.