Herby Smashed New Potatoes
Early summer brings an abundance of new potatoes. These are best enjoyed simply tossed with fresh herbs, which enhance their natural sweetness.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian
- 200g new potatoes, cleaned but skin left on, cut in half
- Small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Small handful fresh mint, finely chopped
- A few fresh chives, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Upcyling: Heat the leftover potatoes in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, then add 2 beaten eggs along with chopped fresh herbs. Allow to cook over a low heat for 3 minutes, grate over Parmesan, then place under a hot grill until bubbling hot and golden
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Put the potatoes in a large pan of boiling water, and cook at a steady boil until a fork easily pierces them – about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix the herbs, black pepper, and olive oil.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Add the herb mixture, and stir through, then partially mash the potatoes using either the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher. You don’t want to completely mash the potatoes, just to break then up, so that the herbs are crushed into them.
- Serve immediately.