French Toast with Cinnamon Honey
Our founder Jennifer Irvine loves to try to make her own version of a classic, but there are times when the classic is just right. This is one of those occasions, the only difference being that instead of traditional white bread, she prefers the nutty wholesome flavour of rye or spelt bread, and it gives a great texture to the finished dish too. This is diner-style breakfast at its best!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Vegetarian
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 slices rye, spelt or gluten free bread
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 2 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- Small handful of blueberries
French toast or eggy bread as I like to call it can be used in so many ways. It is also yummy served with stewed fruit or savoury with some roasted plum tomatoes and crumbled goats cheese on top.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl wide enough to hold both slices of bread.
- Cut the pieces of bread in half, and lay each of the slices in the egg.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan slowly heat the honey and cinnamon.
- Do not allow it to boil – you just want it warmed through, and for the honey to become runny.
- Place a non-stick frying pan over a high heat with the ground nut oil. When hot add the egg soaked bread.
- Leave to cook for 2 minutes without moving, then flip over and cook on the other side for 1 minute or so.
- Divide the bread between the serving plates and drizzle with the cinnamon-honey.
- Dollop a tablespoon of crème fraiche on each slice, top with the banana slices and blueberries and eat immediately.