Christmas Spiced Red Cabbage – Side Dish

Recipe Image

Red cabbage is grown in the UK and is in season from September to December.

Part of the Brassica family (think broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, kale, etc.), Red Cabbage is rich in beneficial plant compounds, linked to an array of health benefits. For example, the high levels of antioxidant anthocyanin give red cabbage its distinctive colour, just like those found in berries, pomegranates and red wine, and may offer anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-cancer benefits.

Cavolo nero is another member of the Brassica family, complimenting the cabbage and giving the dish an extra dose of phytonutrients and fibre.

Traditional spices, cranberries, and orange make this the perfect side for your festive feast.


Our twist is on the classic red cabbage Christmas side, with cavolo nero and walnuts for added texture and crunch.


Serves 4

  1. Half a red cabbage, chopped finely or shredded.
  2. 200g cavolo nero, stalks removed
  3. 1 tbsp rapeseed/vegetable oil
  4. 2 tsp cranberry sauce
  5. 50ml red wine
  6. ½ orange, juice & zest
  7. 1 tsp mixed spice
  8. 30g walnuts, chopped

Jennifers Tips

Devilishly good as a cold side dish for Boxing Day leftovers!

Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.




  1. Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan, add the cabbage and cavolo nero and stir fry over high heat for 3-5 minutes so that the cabbage starts to wilt. If the cavolo nero struggles to wilt, add a splash of water to help cook it down.
  2. Add the cranberry sauce, red wine, orange juice & zest and mixed spice.
  3. Thoroughly combine all ingredients, and continue to cook on medium heat for a further 10 minutes, allowing the alcohol to cook off and the flavours to become fragrant.
  4. Sprinkle in the walnuts and toss through so that they are evenly distributed.
  5. Season thoroughly and serve.
To Serve


If necessary, keep warm in the oven on low. Alternatively, leave to cool and chill in the fridge. Reheat in a pan or microwave and ensure food is piping hot before serving.

Health Benefits of red cabbage:  Christmas Spiced Red Cabbage – Side Dish

  • Rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6
  • Low in calories and carbohydrates
  • A good source of fibre, helping to maintain a healthy gut and aid in digestion. Over 70% of red cabbage is insoluble fibre, which helps prevent constipation. The remaining 30% is soluble fibre, which acts as food for the good bacteria living in your gut.
  • Just 80g of red cabbage counts as 1 of your five a day!


Explore other Balance Box recipes NOW!