Chilli Creamed Corn
Traditionally this recipe calls for mountains of butter and cheese. Balance Box has created a version which packs as much of a taste punch, but is kinder to your health.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeno (from a jar) drained and sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 340g tin of sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 50ml water
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped coriander
- Wedges of lemon/ lime
It’s tempting to use a tin of ready-creamed corn for this dish, but most varieties are packed with sugar and salt. So much better for you to cream it yourself!
Mains: Creole Crab Cakes; Jerk Chicken; Blue Cheese Burgers
Vegetable Sides: Sukuma Wiki; Broccoli with garlic and lemon; Braised Fennel
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Heat the olive oil and onion in a small non-stick pan over a medium heat. Cook until soft – about 3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper, jalapeno pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper. Stir well, reduce the heat slightly, and leave to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet corn and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender, and blend to your preferred consistency, making sure that at least half of the mixture is completely smooth.
- Stir in the cream cheese and crème fraiche, mixing well.
Reserve some of the corn mix before you blend it and add a tablespoon of Greek yogurt, for a wonderful salsa. This will instantly create a tasty lunch once added to plain grilled chicken or fish, or heaped into a corn wrap with grilled haloumi.
Serve either on individual plates, or in a warmed serving bowl. Sprinkle the servings with coriander, and serve with a wedge of lemon or lime.