Chicken & Asparagus with Coriander Pesto
The coriander pesto in this recipe really brings all the flavours in this stir-fry together. You can also use fish and for a vegetarian version, just substitute the chicken with tofu and steamed vegetables.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Diary Free
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 2 spring onions, ends removed, roughly chopped
- 200g free-range chicken breasts, skinned and cut into thin strips
- 100g asparagus fine tips, trimmed
- 100g bok choy / spinach
- Juice ½ a lime
- 1 portion coriander pesto (1 tbsp coriander seeds, 40g unsalted cashew nuts, 60g fresh coriander, 1 green chilli deseeded and chopped, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese)
- Wedges of lime
- 1 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cashew nuts, roughly chopped
A good rule of thumb for stir-fries is to use two main vegetables and one protein. If asparagus and greens aren’t your favourite, mix and match any of the following: Broccoli, sugar snap peas, carrots (chopped into thin sticks), finely sliced peppers, sliced mushrooms, or even courgette shavings. A handful of cheery tomatoes is a nice option too.
• Carb Sides: Coconut rice, stir fry noodles
• Vegetable Sides: Ginger and vegetable stir fry; Braised fennel
• Upcycling: This dish is great to have the next day for lunch – just mix it through with some spelt (or similar) pasta and serve on a bed of fresh spinach leaves.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Heat the oil in a wok, or large non-stick pan, and then add the spring onions. Stir-fry over a high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken strips to the wok.
- Once the chicken begins to brown, add the bok choy or spinach and the asparagus.
- When the green leaves have started to wilt, add the lime juice, stir through, and take off the heat.
- Add the pesto to the chicken mix ( toast the coriander seeds in a dry non-stick frying pan shaking occasionally until they are browned not burnt, mix the remaining ingredients in a blender until you have a smooth paste) and place back on the heat for a couple of minutes to warm through. (Stir lots)
Spoon the stir-fry into serving bowls and sprinkle the coriander and cashew nuts on top. Serve immediately with the lime wedges on the side.
This recipe makes an excellent open sandwich. Just spread a little of the pesto on the bread of your choice, then add sliced tomato, a handful of baby leaves and, most importantly the chopped chicken!