Cheese & Corn Muffins
Savory muffins are a great way to start the day – I think of them as being halfway between toast and sweet muffins. These are particularly mouthwatering spread with cream cheese.
- Makes: 12
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 – 25 minutes
- Wheat Free, Vegetarian
- Preheat oven to oven to 190°c/375°f/Gas mark 5, and line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- 50g brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 50g fine polenta
- 75g parmesan, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 400g tin sweetcorn kernels
- 125ml buttermilk – (alternatively use 100ml skimmed milk mixed with 1 tablespoon of soured cream, white wine vinegar or lemon juice)
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
This recipe can also be used to make a nourishing and delicious breakfast loaf. Pour the mixture into a 1lb loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Slice and serve with scrambled eggs.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Sieve the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the polenta, parmesan, spring onions and half of the corn kernels, and stir well to combine.
- Place the buttermilk in a blender or food processor with the remaining sweetcorn kernels and blend until quite smooth.
- Pour the milk mixture into a bowl and add the oil and eggs. Mix well.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir gently, until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for about 5 minutes, then serve while still warm.