Carrot Cake Loaf with Cashew Cream Cheese Icing
Nutritionist and client services team member Roxanne has baked up this delicious dairy-free take on the classic carrot cake … We can’t resist a slice.
Preheat oven to 160oC
- 140ml melted coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 free-range eggs
- 200g coconut sugar
- 300g grated carrot
- 100g raisins, sultanas or dried apricots
- 75g pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 180g self-raising flour
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
Cashew Cream Cheese Icing
- 225 g raw cashews (soaked in hot water for 1 hour)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 120 ml thick coconut milk or creamed coconut
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 160ml maple syrup
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Preheat oven to 160C. Oil and line a 900g loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Make the icing. Drain the cashew nuts and add to a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high until creamy and silky smooth, scrapping down the sides as necessary. Place in the fridge to firm up.
- For the carrot cake, beat the eggs in a large bowl then add oil, sugar, grated carrot, dried fruit and nuts if using.
- Sift in remaining ingredients and mix using a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour 15 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, use a palette knife to spread the icing over the cake.