Caramelised Red Onion and Goats Cheese Frittata
A great dish for an ‘on the spot’ meal, these ingredients can usually be found sitting in your fridge. Simply put them all together to make a really tasty and easy supper.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Wheat Free, Vegetarian
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- 4 large eggs
- cracked black pepper
- 100g Goats cheese log
- A large handful of rocket leaves
- 1 ready-cooked beetroot, diced
- Balsamic vinegar
Red onions are ideal for this dish as their sweetness pairs wonderfully with the tartness of the goats cheese, however substitute with large white onions if you don’t have the red variety. Pair with:
• Carb Sides: Herby Smashed new potatoes; Thyme and oregano diced potatoes
• Vegetable Sides: Honey and balsamic roasted vegetables; Beetroot tzatziki; Braised fennel
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Add the oil to the pan with the onions and sweat on a low – medium heat with the lid on for about 10 minutes or until the onions have begun to go limp. (I like to shake the pan every so often.)
- Meanwhile crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork, then add some cracked black pepper to the mixture.
- Pour the eggs to the pan and cook for a further 5 – 6 minutes until the eggs are almost set.
- Tear the goats cheese into chunks and dot over the top
- Pop the frittata under the hot grill for 3 minutes. Shake then to check that the
- egg part is set firm and not wobbling, while the cheese is soft and bubbling. Pop it back under the grill for another minute or so, if needed, or serve straight away. (I like to turn it onto a serving plate so that the red onion is visible).
- Cut into wedges and serve topped with rocket, the diced beetroot, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
This makes for a wonderful lunchbox treat; serve it at room temperature with some cold potatoes which have been mixed with our basil pesto.