Bubble & Squeak with Poached Eggs
A delicious, heartwarming bubble and squeak is a great way to start the day, particularly if you’ve over indulged the night before! I can’t resist the sound of it bubbling and squeaking as you fry it up in the pan. Usually I make this with left over vegetables from the day before, so there is minimal cooking involved, but if you don’t have left over veggies, then start from scratch and use whatever veg is in season.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- 2 teaspoons groundnut oil
- 300g leftover roughly chopped cooked potatoes
- 300g leftover roughly chopped cooked vegetables, such as carrots, red cabbage, parsnip, Brussel sprouts, prepared and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons snipped chives
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped sage
- 3 spring onions trimmed and finely sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 free range eggs at room temperature
To save time and effort, rather than chopping all the potatoes and veg up, I put them through the slicer of my food processor.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok.
- Add the cooked potatoes and get them nice and crispy. Remove them to a plate.
- Add all the other ingredients (apart from the eggs) to the pan. Press the bubble and squeak mixture onto the base of the pan and regularly stir it up. It will make a lovely bubble and squeak noise as it cooks.
- Flip it over and mix up (it doesn’t matter if it breaks, as it doesn’t have to be in one piece) and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until golden, bubbling and squeaking!
- When the bubble and squeak is nearly cooked, poach the eggs. Bring a pan of water to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat so it’s just simmering. Crack the eggs gently into the pan (or crack into cups first and add to the water). Simmer gently for about 3 minutes until the white is cooked and the yolk is just beginning to set, but still runny. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Spoon the bubble & squeak into the center of four warmed serving plates, crisp potatoes on top. Lay the poached eggs over the top. Feel free to serve with a dollop of cranberry sauce. Delicious!