Our founder Jennifer Irvine’s husband is Scottish, and so naturally cranachan is a favourite in her house. While traditionally cranachan is made with whisky, she created this lighter alcohol-free version, with extra nuts and fruit, which is perfect for breakfast.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Wheat free, Vegetarian
- 20g large porridge oats
- 75g raspberries
- 75g blackberries
- 100g low fat natural yoghurt
- 100g half-fat crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 2 teaspoons honey
Play around with a combination of any berries that are available, or you could double the amount of raspberries.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Place the oats in a non-stick frying pan and toast over a low heat, stirring regularly for about 3 minutes, or until they start to change colour.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Place half of the each of the berries into a small mixing bowl and mash well with a fork.
- Add the yoghurt and the crème fraiche, and stir to create a “rippled” effect.
- Gently fold in the toasted oats, almonds and the whole berries. Save a handful of berries for decoration.
- Divide the mix between 2 serving glasses, and drizzle the honey on top to serve, and decorate with a few berries.