Blueberry Oat Muffins
This recipe evolved from one given to Jennifer by her sister, Susan. She’s mum to five children, and a great person to turn to for easy, foolproof, quick recipes. These are a favourite of hers and her children – and now of Jennifers too!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Preheat oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6
Wheat Free, Vegetarian
- 3 eggs
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 200g oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g blueberry fruit-only jam (Jenny love St Dalfour)
- 200g Blueberries
This is a great muffin recipe to experiment with; add a handful of nuts, seeds, the grated flesh of an apple, or any other type of dried fruit you like, as best complements the fruit of the jam you are using. It even works well as a savory recipe – just omit the berries and the preserve.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases. (Susan recommend a Teflon tray, which works brilliantly)
- Mix the eggs and the milk together.
- Place the oat bran and the baking powder in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Stir in the egg and milk mix, then add the preserve.
- Add the blueberries to the mixing bowl, stirring well to combine it.
- The resulting batter will be looser than a usual muffin mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling each one to the top.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly before serving, then serve warm.