Blueberry Oat Muffins
This recipe evolved from one given to our founder Jennifer Irvine’s sister, Susan, who is a source of inspiration for her easy, foolproof recipes. These muffins are a favourite at her house and now they are at Jenny’s too.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Wheat free, Vegetarian
Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6, and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases
- 3 free-range eggs,
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk,
- 200g oat bran,
- 1 teaspoon baking powder,
- 100g blueberry fruit-only jam (St Dalfour or Super Jam),
- 200g blueberries.
This is a great oaty muffin recipe to experiment with. Add a handful of nuts, seeds, a grated apple, or any type of dried fruit.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Mix the eggs and milk together.
- Place the oat bran and baking powder in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.Stir in the egg and milk mix, then add the jam.
- Add the blueberries to the mixing bowl and stir well. The resulting batter will be looser than a usual muffin mix.
- Spoon the batter into the paper cases, filling each one to the top.
- Bake in the oven for 18–20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly before serving