Beef & broccoli in oyster sauce
Ready in minutes, this is a dish that really packs a punch with garlic, ginger and chilli – as well as supplying you with antioxidants. All the different flavours and textures are bought together in a sticky oyster sauce. Sublime!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 2 tablespoons good-quality oyster sauce
- 200g beef fillet, thinly sliced
- 200g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 125ml water
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and roughly chopped
Beef, broccoli and oyster sauce are a match made in heaven, but this dish is equally delicious with mushrooms. Simply replace the broccoli with 150g finely sliced portobello mushrooms and continue as above.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Heat the oil in a seasoned wok or large non-stick pan over a high heat.
- Put the oyster sauce and beef in a bowl together so they are well mixed.
- Add the broccoli, garlic, ginger and chilli to the pan, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the oyster sauce, beef and water, bring to the boil, and leave to bubble on a high heat for 2 minutes. Reduce the sauce down to about half (it should be very sticky and the beef very tender).
- Add the spring onions, and stir gently over a high heat for another minute.
- Serve in bowls and eat immediately.
Any leftovers can be stirred though an equal amount of barley couscous and finish with a good squeeze of lemon juice.