Aromatic Chicken and Corn Noodle Soup
For this recipe I wanted to take what I think is a classic in comfort food – chicken and corn noodle soup – and give it a twist. For me, the fundamental flavours of South East Asian cuisine – ginger, lime, fish sauce – are a perfect match for the bland warmth of a wholesome noodle soup. Try it and you’ll agree that it’s definitely one to curl up with on the sofa!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- (retain the green bits)
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely sliced
- 750ml stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 small chicken breast, skinned
- 50g Thai angel hair rice noodles
- ½ 198g tin sweet corn, drained
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- Small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Lime wedges
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves
For a delicious variation on this, replace the chicken with a handful of prawns. If using raw prawns, add after the stock has been simmering for 10 minutes. Leave to cook for 3 minutes, then add the raw prawns. If using cooked prawns, add with the noodles and the vegetables. For a vegetarian version of this soup, omit the fish sauce and the chicken / prawns, and replace with 100g firm tofu, cut into cubes – add this with the noodles and vegetables.
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.
- Add the oil, spring onion, chili, ginger and garlic to a medium non-stick pan and heat over a low heat. Stir until soft – about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the noodles, sweet corn, the retained green leaves of the spring onions, fish sauce and soy sauce and simmer for about 3 minutes (or follow noodle instructions and simmer for the length of time advised on packet), until the noodles are soft.
- Stir through the lime and coriander.
- Divide the noodles between two deep serving bowls, then ladle the soup and vegetables on top. Garnish with the lime wedges and additional coriander. Serve immediately.