As far as we’re concerned, a movie night demands chocolate – just not the overly sweetened, processed “candy” beloved of so many cinema food-stalls. We’re talking about the finest dark chocolate, whipped into a fluffy meringue-base, and given a grown-up health kick with spicy ginger. We promise you, it’s as healthy as chocolate can get!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Chilling time: 15 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 50g plain dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon stem ginger
- Zest of half an orange
- 4 free-range egg whites, at room temperature
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Leave to cool slightly.
- Stir in the cocoa powder.
- Mix the ginger and the orange zest into the melted chocolate.
- The secret to this recipe is to have the temperature of the chocolate and eggs similar so nothing is shocked. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry, grease-free bowl until they form soft peaks. Fold them into the cooled melted chocolate.
- Spoon into two small cups or ramekins and chill for 15 minutes.
- cocoa powder for dusting
- 2 twists of orange peel
Dust with a little cocoa powder and a twist of orange peel before serving.
Feel free to play around with the flavours; if you don’t like – or don’t have – stem ginger, just omit it, and have a luxurious chocolate-orange mousse instead!
Photo and recipe taken from The Balance Diet Cookbook.