Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 75g dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 400ml vegetable stock
- Place the oil in a medium-sized non-stick saucepan, and heat over a medium heat. Add the onions and leave to sweat for about 4-5 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Add the chopped carrot and stir to mix with the onion. Cover, and leave for another 4-5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the lentils, the tomatoes (and their juices) and then the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat so the soup simmers steadily.
- Cover the pan, and leave for 10-15 minutes, or until the lentils have collapsed and the vegetables are soft.
- Season the soup with black pepper, then ladle into warmed serving bowls.
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.
This recipe works well with almost any root vegetables, so get creative! Try it with sweet potatoes, parsnip, potatoes or even celeriac.
For more delicious recipes like this, Jennifer Irvine’s book ‘The Balance Diet’ is available from Amazon.