Prep Time-10 minutes
Cooking time-30 minutes
Pre-heat oven to Gas 6/400oF/200oC
Wheat free, Gluten free, Dairy free
You will need:
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 clove
- Pinch ground mace
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 free-range chicken breasts, skinned
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 small onions, finely sliced
- Shell the Cardamom pod, removing the seeds, and crush them in a small bowl (or a mortar) with the cinnamon. cloves, mace, cayenne pepper, bay leaf and mustard seeds.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-proof pan, add the turmeric and the ginger and fry over a high heat, for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken, and quickly brown on each side.
- Add the garlic, onion and the spice mix to the chicken in the pan. Fry over a high heat for 1 minute, then spoon the onion and spice mix over the chicken, pressing it into the meat with the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and cover (use foil if you don’t have a lid for the pan). Place in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes and once cooked, serve immediately.
Jennifer’s Tip-You need to serve this with something that has lots of sauce. My favourite combination is to serve with the coconut potatoes, and creamed spinach with lemon.
This recipe was taken from Jennifer Irvine’s ‘The Diet for Food Lovers’. Available to buy here.