Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Wheat free, Gluten free, Dairy free
- 1/2 red chilli, de-seeded
- 2 lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 cm piece of root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon groundnut oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 320 g free-range chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 Lime leaves
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 240 g Pad Thai rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 spring onion, trimmed and cut into julienne strips
- small handful coriander, leaves picked
- 35 g cashew nuts, roughly chopped.
- Place the chilli, lemongrass, garlic cloves and ginger in the bowl of a small food processor and blitz to a curry paste.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the curry paste and chopped onion and cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, lime leaves and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- While the Laksa is cooking, soak the noodles in a bowl of boiling water for around 10 minutes (or according to packet instructions).
- When the noodles are soft, but still have bite, drain well and then add to the chicken & coconut Laksa sauce.
- Add the fish sauce, red pepper, bean sprouts, sugar snap peas and spring onion to the Laksa and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve family-style in a big bowl and garnish with the coriander leaves and chopped cashew nuts. Dish out individually according to the rule of palm.
TIP: Pad Thai noodles are available on-line, in some large supermarkets and Asian supermarkets. If you can’t find them locally, substitute flat dried rice noodles, which is basically what they are!
This recipe was taken from ‘The Diet for Food Lovers’ Available to buy here.