Christmas Shopping deserves a hearty, healthy meal – either as pre-workout fuel, or as a post-workout reward! This is one of our favourites – marrying slow-burning high-energy superfoods, with high flavour and simple preparation. Including this in your diet-plan will give you the energy you need to combat everything which December has to throw at you!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped (retain the green bits)
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2cm piece ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely sliced
- 750ml stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 small chicken breast, skinned
- 50g Thai angel hair rice noodles
- ½ 198g tin sweet corn, drained
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- Small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Add the oil, spring onion, chili, ginger and garlic to a medium non-stick pan and heat over a low heat. Stir until soft – about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the chicken breast. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes – or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and shred it finely, then return to the pan
- Add the noodles, sweet corn, the retained green leaves of the spring onions, fish sauce and soy sauce and simmer for about 3 minutes (or follow noodle instructions and simmer for the length of time advised on packet), until the noodles are soft.
- Stir through the lime and coriander.
- Lime wedges
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves.
Divide the noodles between two deep serving bowls, then ladle the soup and vegetables on top. Garnish with the lime wedges and additional coriander. Serve immediately.
For a delicious variation on this, replace the chicken with a handful of prawns. If using raw prawns, add after the stock has been simmering for 10 minutes. Leave to cook for 3 minutes, then add the raw prawns. If using cooked prawns, add with the noodles and the vegetables. For a vegetarian version of this soup, omit the fish sauce and the chicken / prawns, and replace with 100g firm tofu, cut into cubes – add this with the noodles and vegetables.
This recipe is from The Balance Diet available on Amazon