These cookies are a wonderful winter treat, the spice and warmth of the cinnamon and orange zest balancing the sweetness of the apple and maple syrup wonderfully.
Prep time-10 minutes
Cooking time-15 minutes
Wheat free, Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegetarian
Preheat oven to 180 c/350 f/Gas mark 4
You will need:
- 75 g Spelt flour
- 75 g rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 50 g walnuts, chopped
- 75 g maple syrup
- 60 ml sunflower oil
- zest of 1/2 orange
- Place the flour, oats, baking powder and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Add the grated apple and the chopped nuts and stir again.
- In a separate bowl, mix the maple syrup, olive oil and orange zest, stirring well to completely combine.
- Add the flour and apple mixture to the wet ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Place the heaped tablespoons of the batter onto baking trays lined with baking paper, leaving a space of about 2 inches between each dollop.
- Place in the top of the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave for a few minutes before transferring to a baking wire to cool for at least 10 minutes. Best served warm.
This recipe is very forgiving, so substitute ingredients according to what’s to hand. Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and even peanuts all work well, and instead of grated apple you could try grated carrots or even mashed bananas.
This recipe was taken from Jennifer Irvine’s book-The Balance Diet. Available to buy here.