We love to hear new food trivia, tell us yours!
Did you know?
- We all know the sandwich was named after the Earl of Sandwich, but did you know that he created it so he could continue to eat whilst gambling with ease. That’s one way not to ‘gamble with your heath’, but we wouldn’t recommend it.
- The Romans made oysters popular in our fair land and were responsible for establishing their cultivation. They discovered the Colchester waters were ideal for cultivating them.
- The world’s first chocolate bar was made in Bristol in the late 1720s by Joseph Fry which then became Cadbury.
- The well-loved Indian dish Chicken Tikka Masala was in fact born in the UK…..really it was!
- Crowdie, a soft, fresh milk cheese is the result of traditional methods dating back to Scotland’s Viking occupation. The first farm to flavour it with garlic did so after their cows escaped from their field, wandered into the woods and ate wild garlic. They loved it so much that garlic crowdie quickly became a favourite.