As you may have seen, there are a lot of smoothie recipes out there in the world. They are one of the easiest ‘meals’ and you can throw it together in a matter of minutes. Packed full of nutrients, and just so tasty! They’re the perfect vehicle for adding adding any food supplements you require, and for contributing to your five a day. Our Crunchy Smoothie recipe is a great way to start your day when you’re pushed for time-it’s a breakfast in a glass!
Here are our tips for making really good smoothies:
- Use an equal portion of fruit to liquid
- Use a maximum of three types of fruit, to retain the individual flavours
- Add vegetables-this is an easy and delicious way to eat the rainbow
- When using citrus fruit, squeeze the fruit first and use only the juice (the pith and pips will make the smoothie bitter as well as giving an unpleasant texture)
- Add frozen fruit. Bananas work particularly well-they’re perfect for a slushy, frozen smoothie. Simply peel the banana, cut into chunks, and pop in a sealable freezer bag
- Prepare and drink smoothies fresh; if they’re allowed to sit, they lose their nutritional goodness (you will notice that their colour fades).
Preparation time: 5-10 minutes
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 3 tablespoons low fat natural yoghurt
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into chunks
- 120g strawberries, hulled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 80g granola or museli.
The techniques for creating any smoothie recipe is the same: place all the ingredients in a blender, and process until it reaches the desired texture.
This recipe was taken from Jennifer Irvine’s ‘The Balance Diet’. Available to buy here.