Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 75g dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 400ml vegetable stock
- Place the oil in a medium-sized non-stick saucepan, and heat over a medium heat. Add the onions and leave to sweat for about 4-5 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Add the chopped carrot and stir to mix with the onion. Cover, and leave for another 4-5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the lentils, the tomatoes (and their juices) and then the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat so the soup simmers steadily.
- Cover the pan, and leave for 10-15 minutes, or until the lentils have collapsed and the vegetables are soft.
- Season the soup with black pepper, then ladle into warmed serving bowls.
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.
This recipe works well with almost any root vegetables, so get creative! Try it with sweet potatoes, parsnip, potatoes or even celeriac.