Is February threatening to get you down? Then indulge in a helping of this creamy, moreish soup – or Comfort in a Bowl, as we like to think of it! Guaranteed to warm even the dampest cockles of your February heart!
This intensely velvety, creamy recipe combines all the wonderful classic flavours of cauliflower cheese, just served in a new way.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon of groundnut oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- ½ a head of cauliflower, stalks and florets roughly chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 30g Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
- 30g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Add the oil, onion and garlic to a medium saucepan, over a medium heat. Cover and leave to soften, stirring occasionally – about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced potato and the chopped cauliflower, stirring into the onion. Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce heat so the soup simmers steadily for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor (or use a handheld blender) and blend until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan, heat through, then add the grated Parmesan and Cheddar in a steady flow, stirring constantly so that it melts through the soup completely.
- 2 tablespoons of crème fraiche
- Small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Season the soup with pepper, then ladle into warmed serving bowls. Dollop a spoonful of crème fraiche into each bowl, and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.
This soup marries well with most hard cheeses, so feel free to experiment with whatever you have to hand.