A delicious, spiced Aubergine dip, this Baba ganoush works really well with roast or grilled lamb too. Don’t be tempted to slather the aubergine in salt as so many recipes tell you to do. There really is no need.
Preheat oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Wheat Free, Vegetarian
- 1 large Aubergine
- 1 Garlic clove, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Oatcakes per person, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Small handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Cut the aubergine in half. Using the tip of a knife, make 2 cuts in the flesh of each half and bury a piece of garlic in each slit.
- Place on a non stick baking sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes until the skin is blistered and the flesh is soft. When cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh along with the garlic.
- Spoon the Baba Ganoush into a serving bowl. Drizzle over the olive oil and scatter with parsley and serve with the oatcakes.
Balance Box Tip-Don’t overdue the cumin or you will overwhelm the aubergine flavour.
This recipe was taken from Jennifer Irvine’s ‘The Diet for Food Lovers’. Available to buy here.